Friday, August 31, 2007

Tangrams - Geometric Brain Sharpener


I just love Tangrams. I'm not that great at doing them but I love to watch my mind think as I work out a solution. The shape of "the sitting man" for instance seems easy because you know right off where two of the pieces go just by looking at the shape. So there are only 5 other pieces to place. But as you do it you discover that getting those large triangles in place can be tricky, and if you listen to your mind thinking about the options you'll find it's fascinating to see your strategies of looking at the areas of pieces, and lengths of sides, and ways that pieces could fit together to fill a certain space. And for kids - if we can get them to be aware of their thinking I believe there will be a great deal of transfer to all kinds of problems related to area, distance, angles, triangles and more. Play with it and see what you think. Try Interactive Tangrams